Monday, February 28

4:00 am... God, I didn't want to get out of bed in the dark! Shower, woke up Craig so he could go get his car... 30 degrees and raining.

5:30 am... Kissed Craig good bye at the security line. The Latinas behind us thought we were cute, and were giggling at us.

6:30 am... Flew to Atlanta. Made sure to take Dramamine before takeoff. Good thing, too.

8:00 am... What a miserable little airport Atlanta has. Dingy. Crowded. Concourses are too long and organized terribly. As if I didn't already have too long a layover, flight was delayed about an hour. This situation sucked, but it's not as horrible as the last time I got stuck in ATL!

Got on one of those little commuter shuttle planes where you actually walk out onto the tarmac and up the stairs. Two aisles of two seats each. I was in 12A, and that's the penultimate row. Which means there was a thirteenth row on this plane.

Blessedly, the flight was smooth. Very very minor turbulence. Didn't even make me nervous.

12:30 am... Landed in Melbourne, FL. Florida looks really pretty from the air. Very marshy. The beaches, though tiny from that altitude, looked lovely and white. I called Tim to come pick me up.

Got out of the plane on the jetway, and smelled the seawater. Melbourne Airport is a shithole. It's under construction, and the atmosphere is tacky in that way that only Florida can be. It also has that smell like an old house basement that's been flooded a few times.

Told Tim I'd be the redhead with glasses, because there's probably not too many of those walking around. He said he'd be in a Ford Taurus. I realized too late that description probably fit all the rental cars at the airport. No matter, he spotted me. We chatted it up, and stopped at a place to buy me a sandwich, because everyone else had gotten lunch, but they didn't know what to get me.

The hoagie place was sort of dismal and bare, but the guy behind the counter was very nice. He said he was still getting used to the heat,and how different this place is in many ways because he was from New York. Brooklyn, to be exact. He said no one's complained about his subs yet, so he hoped I would enjoy it.

Funny, the sign said "Hoagies", yet he called it a "sub." Perhaps it was not his establishment.

1:something ... Met the rest of the IT team. Very informal gathering. Ate and talked, and everyone told me a little about themselves.

It's always interesting to see what "business casual" means to people. Everything from button-downs and khakis, to jeans and a polo shirt. I don't mind being a tiny bit overdressed though. I would always rather be over- than under- dressed.

Very very informal discussions. Got a nice tour of the facility. It's an "o" shaped building, white walls, absolutely nothing remarkable. A lot of development and beta testing goes on here, so it was nice to see what they're using to do that. Lots and lots of server equipment and misc. peripherals.

Lots of grey hair on the techs... ;)

No comments: