Tuesday, June 14

I went to Showmars to pick up some lunch the other day. There was a lucite collection box on the counter next to the register. It said that an employee there and his wife were expecting their baby July 15th, but the baby was born June 11th, and passed. They were taking up a collection to pay for the hospital bills.

It struck me as so, so sad that I almost cried right there. Can you imagine the pain, the horror, of waiting so long for that little tiny life inside you to arrive and to be with you and a part of your family? Making happy preparations, setting up a nursery, buying baby clothes, well-wishes from family and friends... And then having all that destroyed so quickly? And THEN still having to pay for the hospital bills. No small bundle of joy to bring home from the hospital. Nothing but hurt and tears and stitches and scars. And then not having enough money to pay for all that pain.

I gave them $1.11, because that's all I had left.

No comments: