Wednesday, October 18

Much happier blog

I like riding the DC Metro. I guess because I don't have to do it every day, it still has some of its "fun and adventure" quality to me. It's relatively clean, and safe, and it's architecturally pretty nice. It's not very expensive, and it saves me the trouble of having to drive all the way to and from DC, and worrying about a place to park, and driving during rush hour, etc.

I have three things I really like about it, that may seem a bit odd...

First, I love the lights on the platform that flash slowly when the train is coming into the station. It's genius.

Second, I like when you're in an underground station, and it's kind of quiet, and there aren't a lot of people waiting for the train. Suddenly, out of the darkness, comes the headlight of the ghost train.

It looks like any normal train until it gets closer to you. It slows its pace some as it comes into the station, but it's still going too fast to stop. Then you notice the windows are all dark, and there are no passengers. The dark car windows flip by like frames in a silent movie. And then the train is gone, and the station goes back to the quiet of waiting. You'll know when one is coming because the arrival signboard will just say "Train" and however many minutes until the ghost train comes by. It's just a little eerie, but I love when it happens!

The third thing I like is the new "zoetrope"-like ads they've installed in a few stations. As the train reaches its traveling speed in the tunnel, and you look out the window, you'll see an ad that looks like a movie playing. It's an illusion based on the motion of the train and "frames" that have been applied to the tunnel walls. It looks super-cool. It's hard to describe, so you can see the link of someone's footage here.

They have that one for Lincoln, and I've seen ones for Target on the Red Line. I think they're fun!

No comments: