Thursday, February 5

This makes me angry:

2/2/04

Dear Residents,

The Management office would like to make you all aware of a recent incident at (apartment complex). One of our residents was walking toward our building on Oates Street and was robbed at around 8:30 PM on a week night. The aggressor hid between the two (apartment complex management owned) buildings where the resident could not see him. The good news is that the resident was not hurt and the aggressor was caught.

We have assessed the lighting around (apartment complex) and have made a recommendation to the owners to add additional lighting, specifically between the two (apartment complex management owned) buildings. All of the other areas are well lit.

Unfortunately we realize that no matter where we are, we are subject to crime. Because we are concerned about everyone's safety, we believe it is important to notify you of these incidents so you are more sensitive to your surroundings.

As always, we welcome your thoughts and suggestions.


Too little too late. This is especially troubling to me with all the overtime I've been working lately. That very well could have been me. I like to think though that I don't really subject myself to such things by being acutely aware of my surroundings. And for example, I know not to walk on that street on the side where there's that big space between those two buildings for just that reason! I'm also not afraid to run, scream, yell "Fire", or mace someone. But who can say what they would have done in that situation if it were them? You don't really know how you'll react until it happens.

No comments: