Saturday, January 3

Today's going to be an interesting day for crowd watching. There's a game uptown tonight vs the Cowboys. Last home game of the season. (Listen to me, like I know shit about football.) The game isn't until 8 pm but at 8:30 this morning there were already people starting to camp out in the parking lots.

I'm trying to think if I have anywhere to go to avoid the madness, but I really can't think of anything.
Uptown Charlotte is always...er...interesting under extreme crowds of people. Especially drunk ones. See "New Years Eve" and "Halloween".

Actually, NYE was a little sedate this year. It wasn't Times Square or anything, but the crowds were massive. Every bar was packed. At midnight Doris and I stood in the midst of this pack of Hispanic people, including one girl with a giant bag of confetti, and several noisemakers, and the hats and the whole nine. Confetti girl passed out handfuls to everyone, and then laughed at me when I told Doris "Ack! I think I just ate some!" There is still confetti in my foyer. I think it was stuck to my coat or inside my blouse, and when I took those off, there it went.

Doris says Connolly's is usually a very cool Irish pub and we'll have to go there one night when it isn't packed to the Gills. (Get it? Irish Pub packed to the Gills? Ok, Doris didn't make the "Gills" joke, I did, but I thought it was clever.)

On the way home a waitron from the Capital Grille gave Doris and me a bunch of black, white and silver balloons that must have been a table centerpiece because it had one of those sandbags tied at the bottom to weight it. If you ever want to attract a crowd of drunken strangers, carry a wad of balloons down the street in the midst of the drunken revelrie on New Years Eve. We made lots of new "friends".

No comments: